Hooray for new beginnings and new books! Today lets eagerly start with Hanna’s new book, Magisk Gryning. If you missed the review yesterday, go check it out HERE! But anyhow, without further ado, lets get started!
Stuff used on day one:
Faber-Castell Polychromos, Prismacolor replacements given below as well
- Light Flesh 132 (PC Light Peach)
- Cinnamon 189 (PC Nectar)
- Dark Sepia 175 (PC Sepia)
- Dark Indigo 157 (PC Indigo Blue)
- Alizarin Crimson 226 (PC Scarlet Lake or Crimson Red)
- Ivory 103 (PC Cream)
Tips and tricks:
- When doing people, it’s good to always start with the skin. That’s because then you won’t drag particles of the background or hair or something else touching the skin area into the skin, ruining it. In any case, when doing adjacent areas, it’s wise to start with the lightest for the same reason
- I am keeping this girl very light because I want a wintery snow queen theme here but if you want to go for a warmer palette, I suggest you also do the skin darker
- When doing first layers, have a very light hand, the last layers with Cinnamon and Light Flesh are heavier and meant to burnish in the previous layers. If you want a more realistic look, do more layers, build up the contours and texture. Here we’re keeping it rather simple because with pencils, the linework will stay there (unlike with markers that can cover them up) and my personal thing is that I think it will look better unified, meaning if it’s slightly cartoonish, very realistic parts like hyperrealistic skin would look a bit out of place. So coloring books are forgiving in that sense, the end result will look a lot better if you don’t overthink and overwork it. That said, you can definitely do more layers, specially if going for darker skin then I did, then you’ll need to build it up more
- I can’t stress this enough, have fun! Don’t worry, even if you feel you’ve failed. And if you’re seriously scared, make copies of the page, that will take the pressure off, you won’t feel you’re about to ruin the book. Though I seriously think you can do what you want with the book, it’s a coloring book
And today we end up here:
So stay tuned for the next one coming in a few days. Until then we’ll look at some books and maybe something else as well, we’ll see! Plus I realize I missed the 300 subscriber mark in Youtube, though I promised you a giveaway. But I think I’ll make up for it with a Christmas shabang very soon, I want you to get your Christmas present from me in time so we’ll do it very soon!